Jun 16, 2017

Sailing in the sea

''You talk when you cease to be at peace with your thoughts'' says Kahlil Gibran.

There isn't any hurry. Or any loss. When you can live with yourself amicably. Some days, you just want to go through once. Others, you wish you had done them differently. Nevertheless, there are certain themes running through the phases of my life. Right now, the themes are about doing my work properly and being a good family man. However there is a strong undercurrent. The mind is trying to acquire a coherent worldview. It often leads to the moral questions of living and working. Do I believe that morality has a place? If so, what are the contours of mine? 

"And when you can no longer dwell in the solitude of your heart, you live in your lips" 

The more I think about this, the more I am assured that I need not think so much about it. Things are fine the way they are. However, I do wish to slow down. Not as a lifestyle thing. But in my mind. To slow down and dig deeper. Place myself in placid waters. At the same time to be disciplined and skillful. 

"And in much of your talking, thinking is half murdered. For thought is a bird of space, that in a cage of words may indeed unfold its wings but cannot fly."

People I've admired in life have been people with skills. And they have been soulful. The respect for their sharp minds was as profound as the endearing yearning for their restrained companionship. The more I train my resilience muscle, the more I increase my mind's capacity to digest things completely, the more I can listen and see.   

"And there are those who talk, and without knowledge or forethought reveal a truth which they themselves do not understand."

For both of these things, I think silence helps. it checks impulse, lets one sink his feet into the day and get a feel of things. 

"And there are those who have the truth within them, but they tell it not in words. In the bosom of such as these the spirit dwells in rythmic silence."

Of the many ways to get to patience, silence probably is one. Of the many ways to get to peace, patience probably is one. 



No comments: